- to make or become better in quality; ameliorate
- (transitive) to make (buildings, land, etc) more valuable by additions or betterment
- (intransitive; usually foll by on or upon) to achieve a better standard or quality in comparison (with): to improve on last year’s crop.
verb (used with object), improved, improving.
- to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins to improve his health.
- to make (land) more useful, profitable, or valuable by enclosure,cultivation, etc.
- to increase the value of (real property) by betterment’s, as the construction of buildings and sewers.
- to make good use of; turn to account: